The purpose of this paper is to apply the numerical solution procedure to compute conduction time series factors (CTSF) for construction materials with large thermal capacities. After modifying the procedure in Ref. , it is applied to find the CTSF for the wall type 19 and the roof type 18 of ASHRAE. The response periods for one hr pulse load are longer than 24hrs for these wall and roof. The CTSF generated using modified procedure agree well with the values presented in the ASHRAE handbook. The modified procedure is a general procedure that can be applied to find CTSF for materials with complex structures. For the large thermal capacity materials, it should be checked whether thermal response period of the material is over 24hr or not. With suggested solution procedure, it is easy to check the validity of the CTSF based on 24hr period.
- Spitler, J. D. and Fisher, D. E., Development of Periodic Response Factors for Use with the Radiant Time Series Method, ASHRAE Transactions, Vol. 105, Part 2, SE-99-1-1, 1999.
- Spitler, J. D. and Fisher, D. E., On the Relationship between the Radiant Time Series and Tranfer Function Methods for Design Cooling Load Calculations, International Journal of Heating, Ventilating, Air-Conditioning and Refrigerating Research, Vol. 5, pp. 125-138, 1999.
- Wang, S. and Chen, Y., A Simple Procedure for Calculating Thermal Response Factors and Conduction Transfer Functions of Multilayer Walls, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 22, pp. 333-338, 2002.
- Mitalas, G. P. and Stephenson, D. G., Cooling Load Calculation by Thermal Response Factor, ASHRAE Transactions, Vol. 73, Part 2, III 2.1-2.10, 1967.
- Ouyang, K. and Haghighat, F., A Procedure for Calculating Thermal Response Factors of Multilayer Walls-state-space Method, Buling Environment, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 173-177, 1991.
- Davies, M. G., Wall Transient Heat Flow Using Time Domain Analysis, Building Environment, Vol. 32, No. 5, pp. 427-446, 1997.
- Spitler, J. D. and Nigusse, B. A., Refinements and Improvements to the Radiant Time Series Method, ASHRAE Transactions, Vol. 116, Part 1, pp. 542-599, OR-10-057, 2010.
- Nigusse, B., Improvements to the Radiant Time Series Method Cooling Load Calculation Procedure, Oklahoma State University, 2007.
- Byun, K. H., A Procedure for Computing Conduction Time Series Factors by Numerical Method. J. of Korean Solar Energy Society, Vol. 37, No. 5, pp. 77-84, 2017.
- Incropera, F. P., Bergman, T. L, and Lavine, A. S., Foundations of Heat Transfer, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2013.
- Byun, K. H., The Analysis of Green Roof During the Summer by Numerical Method, J. of the Korean Solar Energy Society, Vol. 36, No. 5, pp. 51-61, 2016.
- Byun, K. H., Simulation of Thin Green Roof for Summer in Seoul, Int. J. of Air-conditioning and Refrigeration, https://doi.org/10.1142/S201032517500341, 25(4), 2017.
- ASHRAE Fundamentals Handbook, ASHRAE, 2005 and 2013.